Application Deadline: April 29, 2022
Honorarium: $300 for a zine ( 8-16 pages)/ or a video ( 3 min).
Who We Are
ArtsUNITE / UNITÉ des arts strives to provide artists and creative entrepreneurs with a free, centralized, comprehensive and humanistic wayfinding service that connects people to resources in the arts. We help you find resources in funding, work, services, crisis support and learning opportunities that are curated according to artist-specific needs. We want Canadian creatives to have equitable access to resources. Adapting to the changing needs of the arts sector post-COVID-19, and with support from partners across Canada, ArtsUNITE / UNITÉ is a dynamic service, focusing on providing diverse and adaptive resources that will enable our creative communities to survive in the current moment and thrive in the long run. We’re on a mission to unite the national Canadian arts sector in a mutual goal of empowering, educating and employing Canadian artists and creatives.
Call for Content
We are currently seeking artists and writers to create and contribute website content.
What are we looking for?
ArtsUNITE is looking for original content that provides resources for artists, creative entrepreneurs and the creative community. We are interested in quick, accessible bite sizes and creative “How to guides’ ‘ for artists in the form of digital Zines, videos, TikToks, and webinars.
We will accept all pitches, but are especially interested in content that speaks to one of these categories:
- Personal Stories: Are you an artist with a unique perspective to offer? We want to hear from you and your experiences. From balancing work/life, to forging an artistic identity, to community-specific lessons learned as a Canadian creative, we want your lived-experience how-tos!
- Artist resiliency: Tools on nurturing your mental health as an artist. Practical tips on building stronger networks as an artist? How to create informal / formal artist spaces? Steps on how and where to share your art?
- Financial resources or advice: What was the first experience you had applying for a grant? Are you a master budget-keeper who could share how to run a balanced personal or business budget? If you were to go back 10 years, what financial advice would you give yourself today?
What is a zine?
A zine is traditionally a self-published booklet with poems, art, and all array of self-produced creative content. For this call, we’re open to any spin on the concept of a zine, to include digital zines, video zines, TikToks and more! Check out this helpful webinar if you’re looking for inspiration.
I’m interested! What do I do?
Send us an application through the link below.
If you have an idea but aren’t sure it fits – reach out to Feza Lugoma at email@example.com
Tips for pitching
- Your pitch should answer some/all of the following questions: How is your idea a resource for artists? Why do you need to tell this story now? What community does your story speak to? Why is artsUNITE the ideal platform for your story?
- Please be specific with your pitch: one specific idea is better than 3 vague ideas. If we find that your pitch is too short, and the curators are still left with questions, it is unlikely that your content will be selected.
Note on curation
Submissions will be reviewed by our content team and assessed based on current content gaps and your piece’s ability to speak to our content categories. No submission will be unreasonably denied. We prioritize content from Black, Indigenous, racialized artists, 2SLGBTQAI+, women, GNC/GNB creatives, and content creators with disabilities. After your work is selected, you may be asked to do up to 2 rounds of edits, based on the larger editorial goals of our call. Content will be curated in December, 2021, and published in January & February, 2022.
Need help or have questions?
If you have any questions, need clarification, require additional support or have an idea but aren’t sure it fits, reach out to Thea at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all applicants to visit the artsUNITE/UNITÉ des arts website prior to preparing their proposals to have a better understanding of the organization that will be facilitating this call for content.
artsUNITE/UNITÉ des arts provides an online platform that is inclusive and serves as a catalyst for artists to thrive. Our mission reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age and all other statuses protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act. Please click here to read our commitment statement for additional information.