The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival’s UNSUNG VOICES Summer Youth Video Production Workshop will provide young Asian Canadians who have a keen interest in film and media art the chance to express themselves as artists, learn from professionals in the field, and to produce a distinctly Asian Canadian story on screen.
A select group of youth will be provided an opportunity to produce and present their film (8 mins maximum), in any genre (eg. fiction, documentary, experimental, interactive, etc). The entire collection of films will receive a world premiere at the 25th Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival in November 2021.
2021 Program Description
- This program is tuition free and there are no fees* required to apply
- Participants must be between ages 18–29 and self-identify as Asian
- Honourarium will be provided to participants
- Workshops and learning sessions will be conducted online in the summer of 2021 (see timeline and more below)
- Participants will learn and experiment with skills to complete a video production:
- Creative (ideation, experimentation, and critical thinking skills about filmmaking & arts practice)
- Technical (writing, visual storytelling, image creation, non-linear digital editing)
- Project Management (planning for and executing production, collaboration)
* While there are no fees to apply and be part of the program, depending on the nature of your project you may have to contribute to costs associated with your production (ex. props, materials, talent, etc.)
“Proximity” is the theme for this year’s Unsung Voices. But it’s not just our 2m/6ft physical distance that defines us and our experiences of the past year because “proximity” can also reveal the closeness (and/or distance) we share in time, space, and relationships with communities, identities, our families, and even our own bodies. Use this theme as a jumping off point and see where your imagination takes you.
Expectations and Eligibility
We are looking for self-motivated, resourceful, and open-minded individuals who are willing to go on a (virtual) summer trip with us together. Filmmaking is hard, making art is a privilege, especially now and under these circumstances. Creativity is key as we will be making work to be presented and engaged in a virtual space.
Participants should expect two online sessions per week (approx 6-8 hrs/week) for the duration of the program as well as additional and necessary time to work on and complete their project.
UV is open to Asian-identifying young people (age 18-29) from anywhere in Canada. Self-identify as more than Asian? Great! Please apply. If you need assistance with your application or are experiencing barriers to applying, please contact email@example.com
Selected participants’ projects will be premiered at the Reel Asian Film Festival in November 2021 as part of a final presentation and discussion.
Attendance at online program sessions and final presentation are mandatory
- May 14 Open
- May 21 Info Session
- June 2 applications closed
- June 4 shortlisted applicants contacted for interview
- June 7-8 interviews (online)
- June 9 finalists selected and notified
- June 21 Program starts (online)
- June 21-July 30 Ideation, Pre-Production, Production
- August 2-Sept 5 Post-Production
- November 10-19 Festival
*Specific dates TBA. Timeline subject to change.