The Rock Barra Artist Residency is an artist-in-residence program at Rock Barra Artist Retreat in Souris, PEI. This program is presented by this town is small in partnership with Rock Barra Artist Retreat, and supported by Innovation PEI through the PEI Culture Action Plan.
Eligibility: The residency is open to professional artists residing in PEI.
Duration: 1 week. Two artists will be selected for concurrent residencies.
Dates: September 13-19, 2021
Deadline: The deadline to apply is July 25, 2021 at midnight
(please read carefully before applying)
Rock Barra is a private artist’s retreat for the contemplation and practice of the creative and healing arts located on the northeast corner of Prince Edward Island. The property is a spectacular twenty-acre site with beautiful views, beach access, sand dunes, a fresh-water pond, and six acres of woods with a walking trail.
Selected artists will be given a private room in the main house and will have access to the shared kitchen (hot plate, camp stove, ice box, running water, basic cooking items) and living/common space as well as the full grounds. Studio space can be set up in the main house common area or outdoors.
Artists applying for this program MUST
- Be respectful and mindful of the natural surroundings, structures, and grounds. Carry out what you carry in and leave everything cleaner than you found it.
- Be at ease with sharing space with bugs, squirrels, rabbits, and other critters
- Be able to safely light and maintain a wood fire.
- Be able to work independently in an isolated setting.
- Have their own transportation.
- Be aware they will be sharing the time/space with one other artist, as well as other occasional visitors/members.
- Agree to abide by the STRICT no-alcohol, no-drug use on the property.
Selected artists will be given an artist fee of $1000 for the 1-week residency. There is no application fee.
Artists do not necessarily have to complete a project during the residency, but there should be a clear project plan and outline included in the application indicating what will be worked on and how it relates to the location.
This program has a community engagement component and selected artists agree to share the results of their residency at a public event at the completion of the residency. The date and format of this event will be determined in compliance with the COVID-19 recommendations at that time.
What is provided:
– a private room in the main house at Rock Barra Artist Retreat for 7 nights
– basic kitchen items for cooking/dishes/cutlery, etc.
– studio space can be arranged either in the main house or set up outdoors
– support for community interaction & networking
– administrative support for organizing the public event
– access to curatorial feedback upon request
What is not provided:
– art materials
– personal items (toiletries etc.)
TTIS believes that a diverse range of lived experiences are necessary to enrich our society and the arts. We encourage applicants who are from underrepresented and marginalized communities, especially BIPOC artists, to apply.
Submissions will be reviewed by a peer jury made up of professional artists and scored based on the following criteria: artistic merit, achievability/feasibility, and impact, before the final selections are made. Artists working in any media may apply, but no toxic materials or solvents may be used in the space. Artists must be 18+ to apply. Collaborators are invited to apply separately for the two slots available.
PLEASE NOTE that, due to the unique location of this program, preference will be given to artists working in the following areas: site-specific art, land-based art, installation or sculpture (using natural or biodegradable materials), dance, performance, and sound art.
Artists must apply with all of the following materials (incomplete applications will not be accepted):
– letter of intent
– CV, bio, and artist statement
– detailed project proposal, including a conceptual outline (What will you create and/or research? What is the work about? What ideas inform it? How does it relate to the location/the land? What will your creative process be?)
– any technical requests/requirements
– maximum 10 audio, visual, or video items to support the application
– any other relevant support materials such as press materials, catalogs, reviews
Applications accepted via email only.
Deadline to apply is Sunday, July 25, 2021 at midnight Atlantic Time.
Please send documents as a single pdf. Support material may be attached to email or sent as a Google Drive or Dropbox link.
Send application to Lisa Theriault at email@example.com
with “2021 Rock Barra Application” in the subject line.