CALL FOR ARTISTS 2022
The Arts Council of New Westminster aims to have exhibitions that feature a variety of visual arts by a wide range of artists from the Metro Vancouver region. The exhibition program aims to reflect both the cultural and artistic diversity of contemporary art and serve as an educational forum for New Westminster and surrounding communities. This program is open to applications from both established and emerging artists.
The Arts Council wishes to highlight the diversity of our community, and in order to break down any exclusionary barriers and create a platform for marginalized voices, artists on the LGBTQ spectrum, non-binary artists, artists of colour, Indigenous artists, and disabled artists, are strongly encouraged to submit.
4:00 pm – Monday August 30, 2021
The ACNW operates a picturesque gallery in the Centennial Lodge, Queen’s Park, known as The Gallery at Queen’s Park. Our monthly exhibition program features a wide range of visual arts by local and emerging artists.
This Call is for monthly exhibitions between February 2022 and November 2022 inclusive. Exhibitions typically open on the first Wednesday of each month and generally close on the last Sunday of the month.
The Gallery at Queen’s Park has one exhibition space, known as the Eileen Montague Room (labelled as the Main Gallery Space, see page 6). There is a total linear hanging space of approximately 15 m (49.5 ft). In certain instances, the Gallery Exhibition Selection Committee may pair two selected artists during the exhibition period.
Artwork must be suitably framed, ready for hanging, or, if three-dimensional, appropriately mounted or otherwise prepared for presentation.
As a community gallery, volunteer staff maintain the Gallery’s operating hours. Therefore, all selected artists are expected to sit as a Gallery Attendant on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm for the duration of their exhibition.
- To apply to this Call, you are not required to be a member of the Arts Council of New Westminster.
- To exhibit, you must be a current member of the Arts Council of New Westminster at the time of your exhibition.
- Artists whose work has already been exhibited in the Gallery are invited to apply, allowing a 3-year interim between applications.
PLEASE NOTE: The proposed exhibition submission must not have been showcased in New Westminster in the preceding 12 months nor (upon acceptance) be displayed in any other New Westminster gallery during the exhibiting year.
- The Council does not charge for exhibiting, nor does it pay an artist to exhibit. The Council welcomes a 25% donation on total sales of artwork in the Gallery.
- The Gallery at Queen’s Park will pay an honorarium of $150 for public programming during the exhibition, a part of the Inter/action Artist Learning Series.
How to Apply for an Exhibition:
The Gallery Exhibitions Selection Committee (GESC) meets each September to consider applications for the following calendar year. A well-prepared proposal helps in the selection.
The ACNW is dedicated to inclusion and access to the submissions processes and will accept applications in:
- Zipped folder (no larger than 5MB) or by file hosting service (eg. WeTransfer, Google Drive)
- Single PDF
- Video submission. No more than 10 minutes and must be below 200MB
- In-person or Oral application: Please email us at least 10 business days before the application deadline. We may not be able to accommodate requests made any later.
For additional information on application and access accommodations, please email or call Stephen O’Shea: email@example.com or 604-525-3244
To be considered at the next GESC meeting, please submit the following:
- A Curriculum Vitae (3 pages max.) including a list of your previous exhibition and education experience. Please include: mailing address, phone number, email, website
- A selection of 8-10 digital images of proposed work you wish to exhibit. Digital images should be jpg format at 150 dpi; each image should be a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels. Image files should be clearly labelled with your Name, the Title of Work, Size in inches and Medium. Example: Artist-Title-Size-Medium.jpg
- An Artist Statement (up to 500 words) giving your aims and objectives as an artist in relation to your work.
- An Artist Biography (up to 500 words) to establish a better understanding of your background and experience.
- A written proposal for public programming to be produced and hosted by the artist at the Gallery. The public programming event must occur during regular posted open hours, on a Sunday, during the exhibit. Proposed public programming may be events such as an artist talk, performance art, theoretical or technical seminar, live drawing/painting, social practice, etc.
Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Exhibition Submission – The Gallery at Queen’s Park” in the subject line. Deadline for submission is 4:00pm on Monday August 30, 2021. All applications will be notified of results.
Please note: Applications will not be rolled over to the following year. To be considered for an application for the following year, please re-apply.
The Selection/Exhibition Process:
The GESC will meet in September 2021 to consider all applications received. All applications will receive a reply by email, stating whether the work has been accepted. If your application has been successful, you will be contacted by telephone, an exhibition date will be confirmed, and a contract will be sent to you. This contract will outline your responsibilities and provide other details and dates. A signed contract is required before the exhibition can proceed.
- Be sure that all documents include your name, a working title of the proposed exhibition and complete contact information; phone number, email address, website and mailing address, including postal code.
- Email submissions are preferred. For hard copy submissions, please phone the Gallery at 604-525-3244 for equitable access procedures.
- DO NOT send composite images or prepared slideshows.
- Please test all documents on a PC computer to ensure compatibility.
Submit your application via email to: email@example.com
|July 1||Call for Artists launched|
|August 30||Deadline to submit|
|Mid-September||Gallery Exhibition Selection Committee meets|
|Early October||Artists contacted|
|Late October||Exhibition dates confirmed, contracts signed and returned|
|February – Nov 2022||Exhibition schedule|
All enquiries should be directed to:
Stephen O’Shea, Executive Director
For complete information on how to apply for an exhibition, please refer to the Exhibition Application package.
For more information about The Gallery at Queen’s Park, visit www.acnw.ca/gallery