This annual juried exhibition, open to both members and non-members of Leighton Art Centre, with a nominal per-piece submission fee, honours the practice of creating art outdoors, in the moment.
Leighton Art Centre’s 2021 ‘In The Open Air’ juried plein air exhibition will be held September 11 – October 24, 2021. The exhibition format(s) will depend on the current state of health regulations at that time but, as of now, is anticipated to be held in person, with an online catalogue and online sales (within Canada) also available.
- August 16, 2021 (4 pm MDT): Deadline to submit.
- August 20, 2021: All artists will be informed by end of day about the status of their submission.
- September 4, 2021: Final day to deliver accepted pieces to Leighton Art Centre. Centre closes at 4 pm.
- Open call: submitting artist is not required to be a Leighton Art Centre member.
- Pieces must have been created en plein air. Touch ups in studio perfectly fine, but the spirit of the genre is for the bulk of the work to be done outdoors, in the moment. Please do not submit pieces created from photos or entirely in studio.
- Maximum 6 pieces per artist. All submitted pieces must be for sale, with the price selected by the artist.
- There is no size limit for submitted pieces, but please realize that the exhibition will be curated with available gallery space in mind.
- Accepted pieces must arrive at Leighton Art Centre ready to hang (or be placed on a table or plinth in the case of fine craft such as ceramics, textiles, jewellery or sculpture). No sawtooth hangers.
- Please check all your artwork information carefully before submitting. We are dealing with large quantities of data and will have very limited capacity to fix any errors. No art substitutions, or title or price changes will be accepted after the fact.
- Any submitted piece may not be sold by the artist between the time of submission of this form and the date that either (a) the artist receives notice of said piece’s rejection or (b) the exhibition ends (October 24, 2021). Failure to abide by this rule will result in the artist being excluded from the exhibition.