The “Just Us” art call is a request for mural proposals in support and recognition of Black lives and the rights of Indigenous Peoples produced by StreetARToronto (StART) in collaboration with Nia Centre for the Arts and 7th Generation Image Makers.
The “Just Us” art call seeks mural concepts that create awareness surrounding social injustice, equity, race relations and community engagement. The mural proposals should speak to historic and current social issues and movements within Black and Indigenous communities, and the importance, benefits and opportunities to build a better future through inclusion, collaboration and knowledge sharing. An Advisory Panel will select up to 10 projects to receive up to $3,000 toward the creation of their mural.
The City of Toronto is seeking submissions from street, mural and graffiti artists or artist collectives who have access to a wall exposed to city streets with written authorization from the property owner granting the artist permission to paint their mural concept on the wall. The artwork should speak to past and current injustice against the Black community, and the importance, benefits and opportunities to build a better future through inclusion, collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Nia Centre, along with 7th Generation Image Makers and an Advisory Panel composed of at minimum: two representatives from each community with an arts, equity and inclusion background, and one StART staff, who will review and select up to 10 concepts to receive funding of up to $3000 toward the installation of their mural. All projects must be located in Toronto.
Applications will be accepted online via Submittable (https://akimbo.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7dce056c3a021a085b762c0da&id=99a89971bf&e=e1891efbc0), and must include the following support materials:
– An up to one page single-sided CV, resume or Statement of Work that highlights your qualifications that are most relevant to this call in your opinion.
– An up to one-page single-sided Concept Description to briefly explain and/or visualize:
◦ “Just Us” concept/theme your mural will feature and/or how your concept connects to the “Just Us” theme
◦ Mural installation target dates and budget – note that the installation timeline is dependent on COVID-19 conditions and subject to the direction of the City of Toronto and Toronto Public Health guidelines.
◦ Property Owner name and signature indicating property owner’s approval of your concept
– Signed Property Owner Permission Form
– Three (3) images of the wall – one showing the overall street context in which the wall is situated, one photo of the complete wall at a 90 degree angle, and a close-up of one section of the wall to give a clear sense of substrate material.
– Three (3) images of your past most relevant work, labelled with the date, title (if it has one), location and medium).