Hungry is now accepting submissions and pitches for Issue 01, our official first issue. We want your art and writing on the theme of PRESERVE. How do we continue to preserve our cultures, traditions, and relationships to food? What do you preserve? What does your harvest include? How is preservation linked to power?
Types of content we are interested in:
- Original reporting/investigative pieces
- Interviews and profiles of people doing cool things in relation to preservation
- Recipes about preservation processes (e.g. how to make pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut, jam, chutneys…)
- Creative and quirky interpretations of preservation and self-preservation (e.g. how is preserving food linked to survival for you? What are your favourite highly-preserved foods?)
- And more…pitch an idea to us!
We are accepting pitches and submissions. This issue we will be accepting a combination of pitches as well as completed submissions. The deadline for pitches is July 18th, 2021 and the final deadline for submissions is August 15th, 2021.
*Pitch process: pitch us your idea, we will get back to you to let you know if we will pursue your piece, then you can create it. Deadline to pitch is July 18, 2021. We will be in touch by July 31, 2021 if we would like to pursue your piece.
- Pitches should be 500 words or less.
- Outline the story you want to tell or piece of art you want to create, why it matters here and now, what perspective you will bring to it, and why you think this story is a fit for Hungry.
- Include your bio and links to previously published work or portfolios if you have them (no worries if you don’t, we are interested in work by emerging creators too!).
*Submission process: send us your completed work directly, skipping the pitch process.
Deadline for completed submissions is August 15, 2021.
Poetry: Please submit a maximum of three poems as a PDF, DOC or DOCX.
Fiction and Nonfiction: Please submit a maximum of 1000 words as a PDF, DOC or DOCX. Writing can include but not limited to short stories, essays, interviews, and recipes.
Visual art and photography: Please send up to three low-resolution images. We accept submissions in colour. Please be aware that Hungry will be printed on a risograph press and colour options will be limited (two to three colours).
*Please include your first and last name on all files.
About Submitting to Hungry
*Please note at this time we are only accepting previously unpublished submissions from authors located in so-called Canada.
*All contributors whose work is selected will be paid $50 upon publication.
*We prioritize the work of creators whose voices are missing in food media. We make this happen with an intentional selection process and a committed editorial team. If you would like to learn more about our values and how your submission might align, please read more at http://www.hungryzine.com/about/.
*We enjoy art and writing that makes us laugh, makes us cry, makes us question. We enjoy writing that is candid, raw, critical, irreverent, thoughtful, loving. We want stories that challenge, critique, inspire, that connect the personal to the political, and the individual to community. We want to elevate and amplify alternative and radical ways of imagining just food systems. We want your writing and art if you engage with food in any way – if you eat, make, grow, think about food – whether you are involved in the food industry, in agriculture, in community food work, in feeding yourself and others…
*We want to respect you and your work by providing a reasonable response time. We are a tiny team with limited capacity (juggling jobs, school and a new baby), so you will hear from us only if we have selected your piece for publication in Issue 01. You can expect to hear back from us about your piece(s) by early September 2021. If you do not hear from us by the end of September, that means we haven’t been able to include your piece in this issue. Please do share more of your work for future issues!