Calling all BIPOC visual artists! In partnership with the newly forming BIPOC Creators Collective, Eastern Edge Gallery would like to commission a visual artist or artist duo to create a public mural that visualizes anti-racism practices in Newfoundland & Labrador. The mural will be outside of Eastern Edge and will be unveiled during the HOLD FAST Contemporary Arts Festival in late August. Possible themes include the importance of anti-racism work, sharing BIPOC stories and lifting BIPOC voices, and promoting diversity, inclusion, and respect in our communities. In tandem with the mural’s unveiling, the artist(s) will have the opportunity to host an artist talk and lead a collaborative community project with the support of the BIPOC Creators Collective and Eastern Edge. The selected artist will be paid $2000 for the completion of the mural, plus fees for additional programming. All materials will be provided.Eligibility:
- Must be a BIPOC visual artist.
- Must currently live in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Timeline: The mural must be completed between August 1st and August 28th, 2021.The Working Space:The proposed mural space is 9.5 ft across by 8.4 ft high and is located on the front side of the Eastern Edge building (72 Harbour Drive). The wall will be prepped and primed for painting prior to starting. Applications must include:
- A proposal outlining your intention for the mural and how you will execute this plan, including concept sketches. (max. 500 words)
- A document outlining relevant experience (such as a CV, resume, letter, etc). Please include contact information and your pronouns. (Max 2 pages)
- Up to 10 images of previous works. You may include a link to video clips with accompanying descriptions.
- A brief outline of materials and equipment needed.
Alternatively, you may send in a video proposal with accompanying images. (Max 5-minute video)A committee of Eastern Edge and BIPOC Creators Collective members will review the applications.
Please send queries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate “Mural 2021” in your subject line.
If you need any assistance or have questions regarding your application, do not hesitate to reach out to the email provided.
*All submissions must be sent as email attachments (no zip files), and must not exceed 25 MB. Please send images as JPGs and text files as PDFs